Wetside Water Education Park
Wetside is a very popular family attraction that is FREE to enter. With slides, a wave pool and many different water play toys. There is also a cafe onsite as well as full amenities and lockers to safely store any belongings. They have recently added some great covered slides which have a small fee, but keep the older kids entertained for a while.
Fraser Coast Cultural Centre
The Fraser Coast Cultural Centre precinct is a modern, contemporary space which includes the Art Gallery and museum, as well as the Discovery Sphere, which explorse through interactive screens, displays and demonstrations, the Great Sandy Straits Biosphere including Fraser Island. Here you will be able to spend a few hours and there is also a gift shop to browse. To celebrate the opening of new Art Exhibitions you can enjoy a glass of wine and live music and talks and demonstrations. (please call ahead for details to avoid disappointment) http://www.ourfrasercoast.com.au/Cultural-Centre
There are an abundance of markets on every weekend and some weekdays in Hervey Bay. There are more and more beautiful stalls popping up with locally made arts and crafts, clothing, local fresh food producers as well as skincare products. There is always live music and yummy food to sample to make it a great morning or day out.
- Pier Markets, Urangan
- Every Wednesday 7am - 1pm
- Every Saturday 7am - 1pm
- Nikenbah Markets
- 1st, 3rd and 5th Saturday of each month 6am-12noon
- Torquay Markets
- Every Saturday 7am-1pm
- Koala Markets
- 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month 6am-12noon
Beaches and Parks
Hervey Bay has an amazing amount of green space which has been developed by the local council into some great parks and foreshore recreation areas with amazing views and breezes of the bay. Throughout the Fraser Coast there are over 800 parks, gardens, playgrounds and recreational areas. Below are just a few of the popular spots in Hervey Bay. Most parks have beach access as well as facilities and/or beach shower, tables, chairs and BBQ facilities.
- Apex Park- Esplanade Pialba
- Fully fenced and shadded with full facilities and BBQ area
- NO beach access
- Dayman Park- Dayman St & James St Urangan
- Unfenced, full facilities and BBQ area
- Beach access
- Esa Park and turtle Rookery - On the Esplanade Between Flinders and Alpin St Pt Vernon
- Unfenced, some shade BBQ area and full Facilities
- Beach access
- Ernie Organ(train park) - Opposite Macks Rd on the Esplanade Torquay
- Partitally fenced, full facilities, BBQ area
- Beach access
- Pines Park- Beach Rd & Esplanade Pialba
- Unfenced, full facilities, BBQ area
- Beach access (rocky foreshore)
- Shelly Beach - Adjacent to Surf Life Savers - on the Esplanade Scarness
- This is the only patroled Beach in Hervey Bay
- Full facilities, BBQ area
- Surf Club with cafe and bistro
- Unfenced, Beach access
- All Abilities and Adventure Park (Age restrictions apply) Charlton Esplanade, Pialba opposite Taylor St
- Designed for children over 8 with high climbing frames, walkways and 3 very steep slides.
- Full beach access
- Facilities are adjacent to the All abilities park, unfenced and some shading.
Botanic Gardens & Orchid House
Elizabeth St ,Urangan
The Botanic Gardens are a cool relaxing spot to visit, have a picnic or watch the bird life. There is a traditional Japanese Garden to explore as well as A Bush Tucker garden along the pathway that surrounds the main grassed area. With a collection of around 20,000 orchids in the Orchid House, walks and ponds you could make a day of this outing on your visit.
Matthew Flinders Lookout
Dayman St, Urangan
High up on the hill at Urangan looking out over Fraser Island, the Bay and smaller Islands Matthew Flinders Lookout and Dayman Park are situated in a quieter part of the Esplanade. With access to the beach which is mainly used by residents and visitors of Great Sandy Straits Marina Resort, this area is a top spot for couples who are looking for some quiet time away from the hustle and bustle of the busy retail stretch along the Esplanade. With a covered BBQ area it also makes for a great spot for a BBQ.
Hervey Bay Marina
Buccaneer Drive Urangan
The Marina located at the end of Boat Harbour Drive, Urangan is a great place to spend a couple of hours browsing the quaint shops, having a coffee, or ice cream and watching the boats arrive and depart on their various tours and trips. On Fridays from 4pm-8pm the Marina Markets come alive with live music a jumping castle and various stalls.
Charlton Esplanade Urangan
At the end of the Esplanade you'll find the Lions Park which leads onto the Urangan Pier which is the longest pier i've ever seen! Over 800m long taking a leirsurely stroll you'll meet some interesting locals, fishing, cycling or just taking a stroll along with you. This is a must do on your list, when you visit Hervey Bay! The views back from the end of the pier are beautiful.